Weekend… as usual, I will try to arrange and spend some time to coach my self on my skills and knowledge especially street photography. It was quite fortunate that I managed to participate an outing with Olympus users, organized by a known, talented and inspiring… Robin Wong. Quite surprised too that I was the first person who accepted the invitation 😀
A day before, he called me to confirm my participation. And I just couldn’t believe that he offered me to lend any lenses that I would like to try during the outing. Well, I’ve been looking and waiting to hold this rumored superb prime lens… M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8!!! And I thought, this would be the best way to give the-best-I-can test drive before I spend my pennies to own one.
On the event day, all the participants (around 15) were briefed and the photo-walk begins around 8:30AM with the M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 attached on my E-M5 Mark II body. Owh… it’s silver too 😛
As I only own 14-42mm EZ, it was a bit awkward for me to get my self comfort using it. But after few snaps, I managed to handle that feeling. I even tested the manual focus, so smooth and the depth of field is pretty awesome.
Things that I like about this lens:
- Big aperture f1.8, good enough to handle dim, even dark scene with high shutter speed… with unnoticeable noise.
- Great contrast, colors and sharp… I mean really sharp (to my eyes).
- The size, giving me some extra space in my daily-use sling bag.
- Fast! Not fast as speed of sound of course… but really fast… near instant I would say.
- Wide, yet able to focus to really really close subjects!
- 35mm equivalent full frame angle of view (less 1mm actually). Great for street photography, landscape and even portrait.
- The easy AF / MF switch.
Anyway, here are some shots that I managed to capture during the photo-walk. Enjoy!
Flickr Album 72157659991430583
- Some of these photos are cropped, but I still satisfied with the sharpness
- Hope I could own the M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 very soon
- If there is another chance, I would like to have M.Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 be my partner 😀